What is Addiction Counseling?
Addiction counseling is a form of mental health therapy that helps individuals who are struggling with substance misuse and abuse, as well as other behavioral addictions. It focuses on helping people identify triggers and underlying issues that contribute to their addictive behavior. Addiction counseling also provides guidance and support in developing healthy coping strategies, developing healthier lifestyle habits, setting goals, and building resilience.
Counselors help their clients manage cravings, create boundaries and develop healthier relationships. Counseling may also involve family members to provide support to the client. Addiction counselors often utilize evidence-based interventions such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational interviewing (MI) in order to assist clients in overcoming their addictions and lead a healthier lifestyle. Additionally, counselors may refer clients to other forms of treatment such as medication management or 12-step programs. Ultimately, addiction counseling can be an invaluable tool in helping those struggling with addiction address their issues and develop positive behaviors for lasting recovery.
Does Insurance Cover Addiction Counseling?
Whether insurance covers addiction counseling depends on the type of coverage and provider you have. In general, many health insurance plans offer some form coverage for addiction counseling services. These services may include, but are not limited to, inpatient and outpatient treatment, individual counseling sessions with a licensed therapist, group therapy sessions, medication management, and more.
If your health insurance policy does provide coverage for addiction counseling services, there are likely to be certain restrictions. For example, certain types of treatments or therapies may be excluded from coverage. Furthermore, your provider may impose limits on how many visits they will cover during a given period.
The amount of coverage an insurer provides also varies widely depending on the specific plan and provider. Generally speaking however, most insurance plans will cover at least part of the cost associated with addiction counseling services such as those mentioned above. Depending on the plan and provider you choose, this percentage can range anywhere from 10-90% of the total cost.
It is important to keep in mind that not all forms of addiction counseling will be covered by health insurance plans. For instance, some types of holistic therapies or alternative treatments such as acupuncture or yoga therapy may not be included in most traditional health insurance policies. If you are considering these types of treatments for your recovery journey it is best to check with your insurer to see if they offer any type of coverage for them.
Top Rated Addiction Counselors That Accept Insurance
Finding the right addiction counselor is an important step in the recovery journey, as a good counselor can provide support, guidance, and expertise in navigating the challenges of addiction and recovery. Here are 10 addiction counselors who accept insurance and who are highly regarded in the field:
- Dr. Sarah Allen – Dr. Allen is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction treatment and has over 20 years of experience working with individuals, couples, and families. She uses a range of evidence-based treatments, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, and mindfulness-based interventions.
- Dr. Mimi Winsberg – Dr. Winsberg is a licensed psychologist who specializes in treating addiction, anxiety, and depression. She uses a strengths-based approach to therapy, incorporating cognitive-behavioral techniques and mindfulness practices to help individuals build resilience and achieve lasting recovery.
- Dr. John Duffy – Dr. Duffy is a licensed clinical psychologist with over 25 years of experience in addiction treatment. He uses a compassionate and collaborative approach to therapy, helping individuals to explore the underlying causes of their addiction and develop effective coping strategies for managing triggers and cravings.
- Dr. Bradley Brenner – Dr. Brenner is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction and trauma treatment. He uses an integrative approach to therapy, combining cognitive-behavioral techniques, psychodynamic therapy, and mindfulness practices to help individuals heal from the wounds of addiction.
- Dr. Jennifer Skiff – Dr. Skiff is a board-certified psychiatrist with experience treating mental health disorder and substance use disorder patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings. She is experienced in using evidence-based treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational interviewing (MI). She accepts Aetna, BlueCross BlueShield, Cigna, UnitedHealthcare, HumanaOne, PreferredOne, UCare MinnesotaCare and UCare MinnesotaCare Advantage plans.
- Dr. Jennifer Contarino Panning – Dr. Panning is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction and co-occurring mental health issues. She uses a holistic approach to therapy, incorporating mindfulness-based interventions, yoga, and nutrition counseling to help individuals achieve optimal health and well-being.
- Dr. Arielle Schwartz – Dr. Schwartz is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction and trauma treatment. She uses a somatic approach to therapy, incorporating body-based interventions, such as mindfulness, yoga, and EMDR, to help individuals heal from the effects of addiction and trauma.
- Dr. David Tolin – Dr. Tolin specializes in helping individuals overcome addiction to alcohol, drugs, and other substances, as well as behavioral addictions and compulsive behaviors. He accepts most major insurances, including Aetna, BlueCross BlueShield, Cigna, UnitedHealthcare, and more.
- Dr. Carl Grody – Dr. Grody is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction and co-occurring mental health issues. He uses a relational approach to therapy, helping individuals to develop strong and supportive relationships as they navigate the challenges of recovery.
- Dr. Andrea Barthwell – Dr. Barthwell is a licensed physician who specializes in addiction medicine and addiction treatment. She uses an evidence-based approach to treatment, incorporating medication-assisted treatment and behavioral therapies to help individuals achieve lasting recovery.
- Dr. Laura Anderson – Dr. Anderson has extensive experience treating people with addictions to substances like opioids, alcohol, cocaine and stimulants as well as behavioral addictions like gambling or sex addiction. She uses an integrative approach that combines psychodynamic approaches with evidence-based therapies such as CBT and MI along with mindfulness techniques for the treatment of addiction disorders. Most major insurances are accepted including Aetna PPO/POS plans plus select Medicaid plans will be considered on a case by case basis according to her office policy guidelines.
- Dr. Nancy Irwin – Dr. Irwin is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction and co-occurring mental health issues. She uses a compassionate and collaborative approach to therapy, helping individuals to identify and address the underlying causes of their addiction and develop healthy coping strategies for managing triggers and cravings.
- Dr. Nicole Washington – Dr. Washington is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction and co-occurring mental health issues. She uses an integrative approach to therapy, incorporating cognitive-behavioral techniques, mindfulness practices, and trauma-focused interventions to help individuals heal from the effects of addiction and trauma.
Each of these addiction counselors is highly skilled and experienced in providing evidence-based treatment for addiction and co-occurring mental health issues. By choosing an addiction counselor who accepts insurance, individuals can access the care they need without worrying about the financial burden of treatment.